Saturday, November 17, 2007

Antelope Wells, NM -The Mexican Border




Antelope Wells has absolutely no services - only the border patrol building and a few houses the men live in. Be sure you have enough gas to come & go from here and don't count on getting any in Hachita!
BETH writes - Last night was anything but full of sleep. Between the border patrol sneaking up on us to check out that we were Americans, the illegals or drug smugglers that went across the road just down from our tent with their flash lights at 1 am, the full moon, the coyotes, and the wind I got very little sleep. I think I was also excited and axious for today. 35 miles to the border! The ride was rolling and very easy and there was three adventures to the day. The habitat was still Yucca desert and then just before the border the land became more grassy and pasture like. The first excitement was I finally got to see my Rattle Snake!!! He was a about 3 ft long and a little thick in the middle like he had just eaten. The snake was crossing the road and easy to see against the pavement, so no one was in danger. The second excitement or pain for the day was I have ridden almost 2500 miles without a flat tire so don't you know today would be the day. They had just mowed the sides of the road sending Mosquite thorns into the road. I did not get a flat, but did have a slow leak so I had to stop every 8-10 miles to put more air in my soft tire. With six miles left my Mom rode with me to the border. Around 12:15 I crossed the border of the US into Mexico. I had done it!! I had ridden 52 days and almost 2500 miles from Canada to Mexico. I am not sure how I feel. I am definitely proud to say that I have accomplished such a feat, but the end was kind of anti-climatic. Here I have seen a lot of the west by bike, met wonderful people, eaten lots of food, had many good and bad adventures and it feels like maybe I should just keep riding. Instead I packed up my stuff and we drove 4 hours to Carlsbad Caverns. The border is just a line and a sign, but now I know the adventures will have to continue!! I loved the trip in so many ways that riding the Divide will not be the end of the adventure!!! Thank you to everyone who rode with me, to all the people I met along the way, to my Dad for holding down the fort at home and supporting me throughout the trip and to my Mom -- Mom I never in a million years pictured us doing this together and I am soooooo lucky to have such a wonderful, supportive and willing to do anything Mother! Thank you for all your help, carrying all the "good" food, dealing with my grumpy days, and taking 3 months out of your life to come with me for this adventure of a life time!!
JAN writes - None of us slept much last night due to terrible wind and lightening (but it never rained), the border patrol lights shinning on our tent, and flashlights we could see moving through the desert in the distance. We aren't sure who was sneaking through the cactus in the night! We got going in good time in the morning to try to avoid the heat. I rode the last 6 miles with Beth, while Fran drove the Jeep, and we crossed the border at 12:15PM. Amazing! The only other vehicle we have seen all morning was a border patrol. You could lie down on this highway and take a nap and never get hit!!! Now we return Beth to the insane asylum from where she must have come to ride a mountain bike 2,500 miles! Since she has finished way ahead of schedule, we decided to go to Carlsbad Caverns in southeastern NM. We drove over 6 hours and arrived after dark. We set up the tent by headlight and after going to bed the wind started to howl and it poured. We are in the desert!

No comments: