Saturday, November 3, 2007

Lincoln to Helena, MT




Beth was on her own for a couple of days and Ann & I returned to Helena. This time we camped - sort of. The only camping we could find was a KOA. It had hot showers, flush toilets, a pool & hot tub, and cabins to rent (which we didn't). Helena motels were booked due to the rodeo finals taking place there. We used the KOA as a base for 2 nights and visited sites around Helena & waited for Beth to arrive. We discovered Helena has a wonderful farmer's market on Saturdays in the downtown area. It sells everything!!
BETH writes of June 23rd - A hard 32 miles today and my first continental divide crossing. From Lincoln I rode an easy 11 miles to a junction where the map said turn right to climb up the steep pass through impressive landscape or stay straight for a easier route. Knowing me I took the hard way - I don't regret it, but man was it hard!! As I started up the pass I ran into a truck of people who told me at the top of the pass they saw a 350 pound Grizzly and her two 100 pound cubs. Oh, boy! After crossing three babbling brooks and a few mud holes the climb became VERY steep. Riding became hike-a-bike - ugg- with a 60+ pound trailer for 2.5 miles and Grizzly Bears on the mind. Between deep breaths I made up a new song to the tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"- don't ask its the only tune I could come up with. I finally crested the pass - yippi!! My first Continental Divide crossing and there were tons of flowers - it was well worth the climb or should I say hike! I was supposed to ride to Deadman's Creek, a not maintained campsite. As I came off the pass there were beautiful rolling fields of grass - out of this world. Well I never found Deadman's Creek so I ended up making my own site under some large pines. I cooked dinner, hung my stuff (so not to attract Grizzly Bears) and read and went to sleep.
BETH writes of June 24th - My camping spot was perfect and I had the spotlight moon and howling coyotes for much of the wee hours of the morning. Today started with a big climb, missing the turn and crossing the Continental Divide twice more than I had too. Thankfully I ran into a guy in a car coming up from Marysville after I had descended steeply for only .5 miles. He was able to turn me around and give me better directions than what the map had. Unfortunately, it was hike-a-bike again back to the top of the divide. Finally, I was back on track. I saw more cows and almost had to use my pepper spray. I had a encounter with a rather large bull that stood in the middle of the road and snorted at me. I kept my distance a yelled at him. He finally moved and I continued on. To Priest Pass, where I climbed to the top of my third Continental Divide (CD) crossing - technically it was my 5th after my missed turn. To Helena was all down hill. Easy - right - nope - head wind all the way and I was pedaling. When I reached town and the campground, a shower was a nice reward. Mom, Ann and I took in the local Montana High School State Rodeo finals - way cool!!! To all my students, these kids did it all - up early to tend the animals, school all day, sports (golf, lacrosse, soccer, etc.), riding and feeding the animals and then homework - can you imagine. I definitely could have grown up in the west as a cow girl! A nice soak in the hot tub and off to bed - another good day, but the body aches!

No comments: