Saturday, November 17, 2007

Cuba, NM



Cuba- has most services you might need. There are several gas stations. A grocery store & a hardware store. McDonald's & Subway for fast food. We ate at El Bruno's - good Mexican food! We stayed at the Frontier Motel - price included an in-room frig. & microwave. The town also has a visitor's center.
BETH writes - Today's 50 miles was one of my favorite days. I am not sure if it was the cool weather, the 30+ miles of downhill, riding without my trailer, watching my Mom become an extreme 4 wheel driver (sorry Dad) or the amazing forests we would travel through. We woke to 42 degrees and I rode the entire day with three layers of clothing and my leggings on. It is hard to believe this is August 5th in New Mexico!! The start of the day was rolling along nice roads which would soon turn to rocky 4x4 road with rocks that resembled the rocky trails of Moab, Utah. It was a blast to feel free from my trailer and bomb down the technical rocky slope. It was also fun to watch my Mom behind me drive the trail with a huge smile behind the wheel. I always knew she was a adventurer at heart! The rest of the day was spent on better roads. I totally enjoyed the speed I could take without my trailer. I also, for the first time all summer, realized how strong I have gotten. Today was the second day in 50 days of riding that I was free from the drag of a third wheel, but tomorrow that will change again. Storms chased me all day as I raced up and down through the mountains. Finally, with 4 miles to go the rain started. I was told August was Monsoon season, but I did not know what that meant until today. It poured! I managed to make it to the hotel only a little wet, but the rain continued for another hour and the temperature dropped again. Mom and I had good Mexican food and a little relaxing in the hotel room.
JAN writes - The 5AM wake up call was something moaning and tramping around on the cones outside the tent. It was pitch black out, Not really sure what it was, but there was elk and bear scat near the tent in the morning. It could have been there the night before. We had rain sprinkles in the night, but the strong breeze had dried the tent by morning. We went down in elevation and up and down again. Changes of habitat with changes in altitude. The day remained cool, with rain threatening. As the trees changed, so did the birds. We saw flickers, turkeys, hawks and lots of juncos. A cow elk jumped right in front of me on the road. Speaking of roads, most of today's roads were really decent. One 2 mile stretch was a doozy! I went slowly and got through with all four tires intact. It really was a rush when I was through it!! I can see the attraction to 4-wheeling! It started to pour just before we arrived in Cuba. NM. Luckily we could get a motel, as it continued to rain for quite awhile. They need the rain here, so we can't complain.

No comments: