Friday, November 2, 2007

Bigfork, MT




Bigfork, Mt is a cute little town on Rt 35 along Flathead Lake. The main part of town is NE of the lake on Grand Ave. We tried Cravings - a Cafe with excellent soup & panini sandwiches. We stayed at Wayfarer's Camp Ground which is a MT State Park right on Flathead Lake. Extrememly clean with a nice bath house, flush toilets, and $1 showers. There is also an IGA grocery store, a drug store, bank, coin laundry, and expensive gas.
BETH writes about June 16th - 159 miles to date! Today was the longest day by far (especially after no sleep because of the trains) - we rode 50 miles mostly on road from Whitefish to Big Fork. The country side was huge. We discovered that in the valley the weather is better, but the scenery was not as good. We saw tons of huge spreads where the owners must have millions of dollars, lots of beautiful horses and the sun for most of the day. We went through many small towns to remind us we were in Northern Montana - Whitefish, Columbia Falls, Creston, Swan River, Echo Lake, and Big Fork. Big Fork sits at the top of Flathead Lake-a HUGE lake. It is a cute little town that reminds you of a town in VT but has a western feel to it. Also the Swan River flows through the town and into Flathead Lake. We are staying at Wayfarers Camp Ground, beautiful, with hot showers(two days in a row of showers - we are feeling spoiled) and my mom and Ann made us a wonderful chicken rice dinner with salad and bread. I don't think I have ever eaten that much and I am still a little hungry. I was also able to do some laundry in the sink in hopes that it dries for tomorrow. The wildlife highlights of the day were a white-tailed deer and her new fawn, a harem of Wild Turkeys with a very proud male, and two Ospery - one with a fish and the other building a nest. I started the trip with a cold and today I really felt it. I am hoping the riding will help it run its course faster. Other than that my body is tired and my rear is sore, but I am feeling stronger that I thought I would :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So when are ya gonna do it again? I guess next time should be from East to West. Hopefully I will be able to quit my job and go with you :-)
Bethany