Saturday, November 3, 2007

Lincoln, MT



Lincoln, MT is a small town, but has everything necessary. We camped next to a babbling brook at the Spring Creek RV Park. They have nice showers and flush toilets and any RV's are in a different area than the tents. Cheap, too! Lincoln has an auto repair, Foodtown (grocery), Town & Country laundromat, Garland's - a variety store, Subway, True Value Hardware, several restaurants and gas stations. The ranger station for the Helena National Forest is also here. Go 12 miles east on Rt. 200 for wildlife viewing. Just before Roger's Pass (continental divide pass under 6,000') A scrub-shrub area with birds, moose, etc. There is an ATV trail for miles & miles on the north side of the road so bikes can stay off the hwy. We noticed 2 motels - Leeper's Motel and Blue Sky Motel. Lincoln is also where the famous unibomber is from.
BETH writes - Today started with a 1.5 hour drive to Ovando where Jean and I had left off two days before. After a good rest day, I was ready to tackle Huckleberry Pass - 7,000ft and looked very steep on the elevation map. I was on my own - excited, nervous and anxious for the day to come! As it turns out Huckleberry Pass was not actually that hard. It was a long climb through a forest, rocky and clear cut areas. The down side of the pass was very steep, fast and ended up in the grassy meadows with my new friends - cows! I arrived in Lincoln way ahead of schedule. I had told Mom not to worry until 8pm just to give myself more than enough time because I knew no matter what she was worried, because I was by myself. I arrived in Lincoln at 2pm. Mom and Ann had left me a note taped to the end of the stop sign as to where in town we were staying. An easy 1 mile to the campground and no sign of Mom and Ann. I unloaded the trailer and headed into town to find ice cream. It is no longer chocolate that I crave, it is nice cold ice cream! In town I found Mom and Ann and did I give them a scare! The ice cream was good and the campsite on the babbling brook was better. 36 miles, reading for the afternoon (something I do not do often enough) and to bed by 8pm - What a Day!!
JAN wries of June 22 - Today we drove Beth back to Ovando to begin where she and Jean quit on Monday. It is amazing how the terrain changes in short distances. Either it is tree covered and mountainous or it is high open prairie. The wildlife changes, too. We see lots of pronghorns and free ranging cattle and horses in the prairie, but not in the mountains. We are seeing lots of animals crossing the road. Lots of babies. Millions of butterflies are feasting on all the wildflowers that are blooming and unfortunately a lot of them are spattered on the car windshield. Montana is so vast with so many wild places. Every now and then we see a cabin or a ranch tucked into a spot. After we dropped off Beth, we drove to Lincoln, MT and set up the tent right on a little brook. The water is ice cold - too cold to wade in! We saw three extremely large looking fawns, except the spots seemed all wrong. They were the size of small adult deer. We later learned they were elk calves - part of a nursery herd. We never saw the adult tending them, as she must have crossed the road first. Beth surprised us by arriving early afternoon at the tent site. We all did some reading and retired to bed very early.

No comments: