Saturday, November 17, 2007

Into the Gila National Forest




BETH writes - Today was once again a great day. The habitats that I traveled through were amazingly diverse from grasslands plains to dense Ponderosa pine forest and even rolling hills that resemble Vermont with different vegetation. The forty mile ride was fairly easy with one Continental Divide crossing. Mom took my trailer for the last 20 miles today so that I could make better time and go with her to pick up my Aunt Fran, who was flying into Albuquergue this evening. I entered the Gila National Forest half way through the day where I would ride for the following two days. I have heard great things about the Gila and I now know why. I rode through a beautiful canyon and into Collins Park which is a huge grassy area with mountains on all sides. I once again managed to out ride the thunderstorms and was glad I was not in a tent because it rained for most of the afternoon and evening. 40 miles of riding and 4+ hours in the car to get my Aunt made for a long day, but we were dry and in a soft bed and had a hot shower for the first time in four days.
JAN writes - This morning we were literally floating on our air matresses in a wet tent when we awoke. It had stopped raining, but it had rained so hard and so long that our old tent was soaked from above and below. We put up a clothes line and spent a couple of hours attempting to dry things before we packed up and headed out. The day was cool and partly cloudy. About 1/2 way through today's ride Beth decided she would come to Albuquerque later with me to pick up her aunt, who would finish the ride with us. She rode 40 miles - thru high plains, a lovely canyon and into the Gila National Forest. We headed to Albuquerque, but stopped in Magdalena, NH and got a motel room. We didn't want to meet Fran after 4 days without a shower! Her plane was right on time, but the 1 1/2 hour drive to and from Magdelina in an electrical storm made for a very late night. I was glad I wasn't leaving Beth out in the electrical storms alone all night!

No comments: