Sunday, November 11, 2007

Red Rock Lakes - last night in Montana






Red Rock Lakes - hard to get to, but well worth the effort!!!
BETH's journal for today says - Today was the longest day that I have had, but definitely not the hardest. I rode 57 miles from Lima to Red Rocks Wildlife Refuge. The entire day was spent in high prairie riding around the huge Lima Reservoir. I met a man from Calgary on a motorcycle who was riding the Great Divide trail from Roosville, MT to Buena Vista, CO. He had skipped the single track sections, but had seen all the places I had also been. He was excited to see an "actual biker", in his words, riding the divide. I also met my first Divide rider today. Rick, from Vancouver, is riding South to North and started May 13th or so. He had some good tips and we talked about Montana. It was nice to chat with someone who was experiencing what I was. I arrived to our free campsite at Red Rocks Lake, the home of the beautiful Trumpeter Swan. It was nice to sit by the lake and watch the swans. Mom, Ann, and I also went for a walk and saw a coyote - first canine I have seen although I have heard them!
JAN writes - Today we are on sensory overload. We drove the same 57 miles on a single lane rough dirt road that Beth rode from Lima, Mt. to a campground on Red Rock Lakes National Wildlife Refuge. The drive there took us 4 hours (took Beth a lot longer), but we were rewarded with a view of the lake out the front door of the tent and a view of the snow on the continental divide out the back window. A spring bubbled out of the ground a few feet from our tent and the huge shallow lake had a pair of trumpeter swans with 4 signets (babies), a flock of white pelicans, many species of ducks and geese, a moose in the water, a fox hiding in the grass until he realized we saw him, a family of begging ground squirrels, and the aspens and pines near the tent were a flurry of constant activity from birds such as Bullock's Oriole, a Sapsucker, and Yellow Warblers. The area had the usual profusion of spectacular wildflowers. All this and the campground was free and no rain!!! Hard to take!

No comments: